You should care for your sunglasses like you would any other accessory or piece of jewelry. With some careful handling and maintenance these sunny-day staples can last you through many seasons.
Follow these fool-proof tips to keep your shades in tiptop shape:
- Always use your eyewear case! This will avoid frames being sat on, stepped on, or getting damaged from tossing around loosely in your purse. There are great fashionable and trendy options available now so there is no excuse not to accessorize with a case to match not only your eyewear, but even your outfit!
- Don’t use tissues, toilet paper or especially your clothes to clean your lenses. This is like machine-washing your dry-clean only! To avoid scratching your lenses, use a microfiber cleaning cloth and/or cleaning solution. It’s also important to rinse your lenses when cleaning them. If there is any sand or grit that isn’t rinsed off you could end up rubbing it on the lens and creating scratches.
- Never leave your glasses on the dashboard of your car. Excessive heat and cold can cause them to warp. And again, make sure to keep them in their case!
- Although we all love to do it, using sunglasses as a headband can cause them to scratch and lose their shape.
- Always have a professional readjust your frames. If you try to adjust the temples or the nosepiece and don’t really know what you are doing, you could easily cause them to break.
- If your sunglasses and eyeglasses get oily from a day at the beach, clean them with warm water and a clear dishwashing liquid like Dawn, etc. (just nothing with cream in it). This cuts grease on your lenses as well as your dishes!